Translate

Friday 8 October 2010

Crafty Ann's Challenge #25 - Digi Stamp and Favourite Colouring Medium

As autumn is well under way now I thought I might do a Harvest Festival themed card. I have used Crafty Ann's wonderful plate of apples for the main image and have coloured them in using my very favourite method of coloured crayons, blending them with Odourless Mineral Spirit (OMS) using paper stumps.

I would recommend that you put a few apples together and arrange them in a similar way to the digi stamp. This allows you to have a close look at the colours and the way the light falls on the fruit. Select the colours you want to use and lay down colour for the darkest areas. The shine needs very little or no colour on at all. Slowly build the colour up in layers and mix the crayons to give little variations of colour. Every now and then, dip your paper stump in the OMS and gently blend the colours to a pleasing finish. Add extra colour on top for detail (like the stripes of red colour on the apples above).

It is a very relaxing pastime and also makes you look very closely at what you are colouring. I am no artist - I couldn't draw an apple, but with a bit of practice I can colour one in now!
The finished coloured image was highlighted by vintage photo DI sponged around the edges and matted and layered a couple of times onto Crafty Ann's Mottled Stone paper red/green.

Thanks for dropping by and I do join us over at Crafty Ann's Challenge Blog and tell us about your favourite colouring method!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mini colouring tutorial Janet. I've loved this card from the first time I saw it and the colouring is outstanding - I could just tuck into those apples but for the fact that I wouldn't want to spoil the arrangement! It's great to know how you did it.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card Janet, the colouring is superb.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete

Rainbow Forum

Rainbow Forum