Translate

Friday 29 November 2013

Artful Readers Club - November Read

Up until last weekend, I hadn't read so much as a bus ticket  this month and thought that I would have to call it a day on this year's challenge.  I find reading a huge effort these days, unless it is a subject that really takes my interest.
John and I went on a pre-anniversary mini-break to Ballater in the Scottish Highlands for two nights.  It is about 90 minutes drive from where we live and is right on the doorstep of the Cairngorm mountains.  As usual, I had a poke around the second-hand shops that abound in these touristy places and found Shakespeare Cats by Susan Herbert.


  It is a beautifully illustrated book, of 32 colour plates of  feline paintings depicting famous scenes from a variety of Shakespeare's plays.  I love this type of illustration and was highly delighted that she had also included a pen and ink drawing of some of the minor characters on each double page spread.  As we were in Scotland, I felt it only right and proper that I should attempt a character from "that Scottish play", Macbeth.

Here is my depiction of Macduff.  He, of course,  had to be a ginger tom.  Macduff is the archetype of the avenging hero, not simply out for revenge but with a good and holy purpose.  "I have no words, my voice is my sword".


I sketched him in pencil and then watercoloured him with  Caran d'Ache Neocolours.  I thoroughly enjoyed making this month's painting and know I will re-visit the literary cats for more drawing practice.  The lovely Darcy's Artful Readers Club has certainly got a lot to answer for!

Thank you for stopping by and do feel free to leave a comment, I appreciate them all very much.

10 comments:

  1. This book would make such a wonderful holiday present for a cat lover who adores Shakespeare! I might have to get a copy for a dear friend who lives in Canada...

    Love the serious look of your Shakespearean cat. One can tell he means business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice discovery! If the cover is any indication, the art was spectacular! Your MacDuff came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful Mac Duff, great eyes. I would not want to take him on. Superb drawing and colouring. Well done finding the book.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Janet, both Bleubeard and I were intrigued by the book you presented and your awesome MacDuff. What a wonderful cat you have created. He's a fine example and Shakespeare would have been proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! and I regret nothing, I am glad you had fun with it. I love well illustrated books. I did giggle at your bus ticket remark, would have loved to have seen a drawn bus ticket hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cat painting with just the right facial expression! Thanks for your encouraging comments on my blog, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stopped by to wish you a very happy New Year, and was surprised that the last entry was your November ARC. I hope to see more of you in 2014. Have a safe, fun, New Year, dear Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Janet, how are things up there in the north of Scotland? I haven't seen anything from you since November. Is everything going OK? Sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blog. My ancestry is Scot/Irish (Buchanan, I know, I know the castle has the roof off it). I would love to visit one day since I am so drawn to it. I read Susanna Kearsley and am even more drawn to it. Your art is wonderful. Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete

Rainbow Forum

Rainbow Forum